Pernicious Profanities - Daily Controversy #10


(Disclaimer: This article covers an extremely controversial topic. Younger teens are advised to check with their parents before continuing.)



Good morning, fellow young writers! 

Howdy, y’all! This is Shaylee*, and welcome back to the Controversial Book Club. I’ve got another Daily Controversy for you today, but I decided to take a bit of a different approach this time. Before I pose the question, I want you guys to keep this in mind:



Philippians 4:8

“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”



In this verse, Paul is telling us to focus our attention on things that last, things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, and of good report. In a word: good things. Our topic for today centers around things that many people find enjoyable, yours truly included. But as you’re thinking over your opinion and formulating your controversial stance in the comments, I want y’all to keep this verse in mind.



In a way, this topic relates back to the post I wrote last week (link to that here), where I asked the question if Christians listen to secular music. But today, like I promised, I want to dive into a much more particular part of that question, as well as something a little… different. Let’s just send it.



Here is the question for today: 

“Should Christians listen to music and watch movies with explicit language, such as PG-13 and Rated-R labels?” 



Now, last week I focused on the broad spectrum of secular music. And, while I mentioned [Explicit] labels, I didn’t do much more than that. So let’s start there, and then I’ll move on to the movie aspect. 



Malevolent Music

I know several proclaimed Christians who listen to explicit music. And, similarly, I’ve watched numerous action movies in which the protagonist curses bitterly under his breath as his master plan falls to pieces. In fact, some of my all-time favorite movies are military fiction, in which swearing is commonplace. Now, I’m not asking if it’s alright for Christians to use “bad words”; that’s a whole ‘nother topic, one that may or may not be covered in a DC post in the future. I’m simply posing the question, should Christians listen to songs and watch movies like this due to content. 



Baneful Blockbusters

The part of my question regarding PG-13 and Rated-R movies was a little more broad. Still on the topic of explicit content, we may as well talk about movie/TV show ratings. But before we do, I feel I should point out that ratings in recent years have changed drastically. Movies made with R ratings several decades ago would be rated PG-13 now if that. But while the standards for ratings have changed, content really hasn’t. Whether a TV show or a movie is rated R or PG-13 for violence, language, or something else entirely, there is something in that production that isn’t considered “pure” or “virtuous”, even from a usually secular perspective.



So what do you think? Should Christians watch movies or shows with these ratings? Now, personally, I think the first PG-13 movie I watched was The Fellowship of the Ring, probably when I was about twelve. Now, is that film appropriate for every twelve-year-old? Probably not. In fact, I have a few friends who weren’t allowed to watch Lord of the Rings in general until they turned sixteen. I also have other friends who grew up watching LOTR, meaning the first time they saw it was when they were toddlers. 


There are two, equally aggressive sides to both of these arguments. Whether it’s music with an [Explicit] label, or movies with cautionary ratings for language, suggestive content, violence… Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Particularly within Christian circles.




My Opinion

Similarly to last week, I believe it boils down to individual convictions. If the Lord's showing you that a particular action is not an edifying thing for you to be doing, trust that. Not everyone is affected by certain things the same way. However, explicit content is a bit more tricky than a blanket statement like should Christians listen to secular music. As I said last time, do what you feel the Lord is calling you to do, but make sure you make your decision carefully. What we see and listen to has a vast effect on our lives. 



Now, does this mean I think Christians should spend a ton of time listening to or watching explicit content? Absolutely not. I’m just saying that not everyone has the same lines in the sand, so to speak. 



So that's my question for y’all! Especially for those of you last week who thought Christians can listen to secular music without any problems, what is your opinion? Can Christians also listen to songs with explicit language? (Depending on the song, of course. I’m not about to pretend that all songs are amazing and fantastic and roses, sunshine, and butterflies 😉). And, secondly, should Christians watch movies with PG-13 and particularly R ratings for language, violence, or really anything else? 



As always, go ahead and hash it out in the comments, y'all! I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts and opinions. Feel free to argue with anything I’ve said. But just remember, we’re not here to be aggressive; do your best to disagree in the nicest ways possible. 😄



Also feel free to let us know in the comments how we can improve for your enjoyment, as well as any other topics you’d like the team to cover in a future Daily Controversy post. 

Happy arguing!



Shaylee Husmann ❤️



*Written before Shaylee left Controversy Book Club.

Image Credits: freepik.com


Comments

  1. Oof, this is a difficult subject. Before I start, I just want to say that I don't listen to any explicit music and have never watched anything rated worse than PG-13. However, I believe that it is ok to watch R movies if they are historical, and thus rated R for violence. (R for swearing or unnecessary violence or something else is out for me). As to the music, I wouldn't listen to it. The reason why I wouldn't watch or listen to these things is simply the reason given in the verse you cited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think listening to explicit music is fine as long as its not inappropraite but just swearing. idky tho nothing to bakc myself up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts