What's New on That App? - Daily Controversy #19

Welcome back to the Controversial Book Club!

Hey everyone, Keona here! It’s been a few days, but I’m back and bringing today’s controversy.



Today’s question is quite controversial and I hope it will spark some good arguments. 


Alright, here is the question:

 Is Social Media OK?


By social media, I mean things like YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, etc.




My Opinion…

Now, you may be wondering, what do you, Keona, think about all this. Well, have patience and I’ll tell you. I also have struggled with some of the things on here, I think we all do. If you don’t use any of the things I mentioned, think about it, what do you use instead? What is your idol? To start off, I’m going to use scripture to build a foundation. 


“For all that is in the world — the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life — is not from the Father, but is from the world.”

1 John 2:16


“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”

Matthew 6:24 


In our day-to-day life, we are often pressured by those around us to conform to what they want. This is often done by using social media platforms, such as the ones I shared above. Interactions can often be toxic and lead to you doing things that you say you want to do, but in your heart don’t. You will be pressured by the world to change and just go with the flow, even when you know it to be wrong. This is not to say that you can’t or won’t have a good time or make good relationships on these platforms. It is good to connect with people and do things with them. But are you spending hours of your time, time that could be spent productively, to show off, to watch videos of people doing things you aren’t, to conform to the world? 


“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing, and perfect will.” 

Romans 12:2 


I enjoy my version of social media, and in small amounts it is ok, but be on the lookout for that pressure that is asking you to change and become like everyone else. 


What do you think? Do you disagree completely? What about partly? Or maybe you fully agree. Whatever your opinion let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, I will respond as soon as I can. 

Thank you for being here, we’ll see you later! 

— Keona Cox 💙

Comments

  1. I agree that social media tends to make us conform to the world and being in the "in" group. That's why I'm going to do this thing called an internet sabbatical when I'm grown up, when you go without the internet for a long time. Unfortunately I'm always online since I'm in college. Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely have an opinion on this. Just don't let social media take over your life, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social media. The only social media apps I have are friends not followers. Only people I am friends with on the app can see my posts and I am only friends with people I know. I actually have an example of social media taking over my life. When I first got one of my apps (BeReal) I was so focused on posting on time that I always had my phone within reach. I couldn’t leave it. So I took two weeks off and didn’t open the app at all. It defiantly helped and was something I needed to do. So like you said Ken, social media in itself isn’t necessarily the villain. It is how you see it. How you prioritize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not on any conventional social media platforms, just a small kid's site which I don't feel like revealing my account there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, social media is a very efficient way to spew propaganda and manipulate people. In that sense, it is definitely not good. But social media in the sense of sharing pictures and stuff with family and friends I believe is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t really have any social media. I do think that teens should not be allowed to have social media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts