In or Out? - Daily Controversy #25

Welcome back to the Controversial Book Club!

Today’s controversy is brought to you by Keona.





Alright, today’s question is:

Is Therapy Beneficial?


This question isn’t quite like the questions we’ve had before, but I hope y’all will have fun arguing.


Before I get into my opinion let’s look at some points and info so we can make both personal and thought-out decisions. 


We all have emotions, we get angry very quickly, and we have a hard time controlling ourselves. We like to bottle up and try really hard not to let our sensitive emotions out, but at some point they get so much that they start leaking out as anger until eventually the wall just breaks. This leads to a lot of pain.



A therapist is not going to just magically fix us. We are all humans and we are going to continue sinning, a therapist is not someone who will just fix all our problems, they are sinners too. So don’t feel like you ccan just say stuff and walk away never to feel those things again. It requires work on your part too.


Let’s also make a point about what a therapist is. A therapist doesn’t have to be someone you pay to go talk to for an hour or two. It can be someone from your church, someone you really trust. Ideally not a peer. (Someone at your growth place.) You can talk to them and they listen, and then they help you find solutions and ways to grow.




My Opinion

Alright so with all that I’m going to show y’all my opinion and my reasoning behind it. 


Considering the fact that we, as humans, are very emotional, what is something we like to do with these emotions? We prefer to bottle them up and not let anyone see them. However, this is harmful to us as well as the people around us. At some point, we will simply not be able to keep them hidden and they will burst out. The cycle then goes on and on leading to a lot of pain that never gets dealt with. Even though I’m only a teenager, I have already experienced this cycle, it’s not something that you will only experience once you are older.


Now, I’m not suggesting you go to someone you don’t know or trust, or that you pay a large amount of money for this. If that’s what you need, great. However, having a therapist can be so much simpler. Someone from your church family is always a good place to start. I had a youth group leader I really trusted and I went up to her and said I am having a hard time and would like to talk with you about it. That’s all it required. She was happy to do it and checks in on me regularly. She comes over and we find a place where we won't get interrupted and I talk and she listens, then when I’m done she offers solutions from her past experience. And we continue like that till I’m done. Then we pray. There is no rush and it leaves me feeling relieved. It may be a little different for you. That’s just how we did it. I used to worry, what will I say, what will I do, what if? Then I realized I didn’t need to worry, she took great care of me. I can’t say you will have the same experience, if your person to talk to isn’t making you feel safe and cared for, don’t hesitate to tell her so and maybe find someone else to talk to. 



Thanks for listening to me, let me know your opinions in the comments below.


Hope to see you again on Monday! 



Keona Cox 💙


Comments

  1. I actually have a lot of experience with therapy, and I can say yes, it helps. I stopped going to therapy when I was 11. I’ve studied many therapeutic methods also, and it really depends on what therapy you’re using. There are many- biomedical, psychotherapy, etc. I've done many. In my opinion, cognitive-behavioral therapy is the best; this is where the client’s actions are changed by a new way of thinking. I’m actually taking classes related to counseling and therapy. I may someday be a therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree that a therapist won't ever understand you like a close friend. I have had therapists who do; in fact, having an objective view on the situation like a therapist is beneficial. Therapists are made to understanding you. Also, not all therapies cost money.
    It also helps if the therapist gains your trust. You are telling them things you'd never tell to others. Confidentiality is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re right. Some therapist are LIKE friends to people. They are excellent at their job and can understand things others might not. I agree with this. I just think that it might be a little easier to talk with people they know and trust for some people. I know it would be for me. It really just depends on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah....therapy is probably beneficial for some people. And we do definitely need to stop bottling up our emotions. But I would never feel comfortable sharing my feelings and emotions with a person I don't know. I'll just stick to my friends and family for therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well yes, if you have friends that you can talk to. But what if you don’t trust them? Thankfully, I’ve been blessed with a dear friend who I’m willing to share most things with. But that wasn’t always the case. Some people just really need a shoulder to cry on, and therapists are there to be that shoulder.

      Delete
    2. If a person is comfortable with a therapist, then great! I don't think therapists are bad, and as long as a person is comfortable in that situation then they can go to therapy if they want. I'm just saying that I myself would not be comfortable with it.

      Delete
    3. very understandable. i felt the same way when i had a therapist for a while.

      Delete
  5. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is it? hmmmmmm i wonder (hadwyns still not sane)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you need therapy XD

      Delete
    2. To be fair, anyone who enters that therapy comes out more insane than when they entered…. 😂 And authors always need therapy. Hence our traumatized character.

      Delete
    3. wanna know what I do when I’m in the dumps? I am myself’s therapist. I know it sounds cheesy, but I secretly write poems about how I feel when I'm emotional. Sounds nerdy, I know. That’s why I’ve never told anyone I do it.

      Delete
    4. so I think what Aliyah is saying is that someone is a true writer if they're a psycho and insane and in need of therapy. Well, i just happen to be all the above.

      Delete
  6. or maybe they ARE friends, not must LIKE friends. Sometimes therapists end up being the person's closest friend. just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s what I’m saying though. When you have the connection and relationship with that person it is 1) easier to talk to them and 2) sometimes better because they know you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts