Destruction or Thoughtfulness? — Daily Controversy #38

Hi there!

It’s Jack with our thirty-eighth Daily Controversy. Today, we’ll be discussing annotation with the question:

Is annotation bad for books?


Photo by Hannah Olinger on Unsplash

If you don’t know what annotation is, Google (Gemini) defines it as:

Annotation is the practice of adding notes to a text as you read it. It's a way to actively engage with the text and its ideas. Annotations can be critical or explanatory, and they can help readers achieve a deeper understanding of the text. 

So basically, the debate is whether writing, underlining, and taking notes in a book while reading it is good for the book or not. (Obviously, this excludes journals and notebooks.)

Bustle elaborates on this controversy, saying:

This is probably one of the biggest debates among readers. There are some who cannot read without a pen or pencil in hand, underlining, marking up and making notes. They just can't imagine keeping their books pristine, and feel like they haven't fully absorbed a narrative without putting some work in. On the other hand there are the neat-freaks who are beyond precious about the way they treat their books. They don't crack the spines, they don't keep the dust jackets without tears or scratches, and don't even think about bringing a pen anywhere near their books. Can being obsessive about the state of your books get a tad annoying? Maybe. But it's a small price to pay for a perfect collection.

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of annotation. If you want to take notes, use a piece of paper or something, don’t destroy the book! Also, I’m a frequent library visitor meaning I don’t often have the chance to annotate because most of the books I read are library books. And for the books I own, I adore admiring how clean and perfect they are, so making any kind of mark on them seems sacrilegious.

But what do you think? Is annotation normalized book destruction or simply a way to express thoughts and feelings you have about the book? Comment below your standpoint on this argument and if you annotate yourself. Happy arguing!


Comments

  1. When I read a book, I like to just read it for the story. Annotating would slow me down, plus margins filled up with writing would be incredibly distracting. So I don't annotate. However, I don't see any reason another person can't do it with their own book. As long as it's their own book — their property — it is completely alright for them to do so. Just don't scrobble in the book I'm borrowing from the library (honestly though, I have come across so many library books that are scribbled in and it drives me nuts!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems unethical to write in a library book.

      No. It is unethical.

      Delete
    2. Also I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the library book if you make any marks or stains in it...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Wait...you answered yes to the question but you love to annotate??

      Delete
  3. When I read books that are annotated, I always get distracted by the asterisks and subscripts and footnotes. The changing font sizes make my reading skills hard to focus on. But if I read a document, I love seeing comments left on it because it's a peek into the writer's mind. And, if I read books that I own, sometimes I'll use a system of highlighters to mark passages that make me laugh and sentences that I think are profound. That way, the next time I read the book, I can see what I thought was funny and see what made me think deeper about something. Pale highlighter colors don't bother me, but any kind of writing that isn't part of the story drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no nonononononononononon i hate annotateing it ruins the book for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is complicated. I don’t annotate in my hard copy books, but on my kindle or my Libby app, I annotate by adding a note and/or highlighting the text. I think it is ok to annotate. Some people just learn/read that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to annotate (as in, underline phrases) in nonfiction books like "The Spiritual Disciplines" by Donald Whitney. I also am currently annotating (as in circle, take notes, underline) a fiction book because it was so horrible I decided to mark down every problem when it popped up.

    Let me tell you, it is heavily annotated.

    However, I think that anyone who annotates a fiction book because they like it is a psychopath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (then you are in the presence of psychopaths xD not me tho...)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts